THE COMPANY COMMENCED BUSINESS JUNE 11, 1854.
As was the case of most mutual insurance company’s, a group of individuals met in Feura Bush, Albany County, New York and, at the organizational meeting held on June 11, 1854, formed the Bethlehem Mutual Insurance Association. The original company was located in Bethlehem, Albany County, New York. Its mission was to provide insurance coverage in rural Albany County. The company was incorporated on April 9, 1875.
- August 31, 1962 – Bethlehem Mutual Insurance Association and the New Scotland Mutual Insurance Company merged with the surviving company known as the Bethlehem and New Scotland Mutual Insurance Company. The company headquarters were located in Altamont, Albany County.
- September 7, 1989 – Board of Directors of the Bethlehem and New Scotland entered into a management agreement with Capital Mutual Insurance Company. In November of 1989 the Bethlehem and New Scotland moved its corporate office to Sand Lake, Rensselaer County, New York. On June 20, 1990 the company received the New York State Insurance Department approval to expand its territory from twenty counties to all counties within New York State except five downstate counties.
- December 1, 1992 – Bethlehem and New Scotland and the Cooperative of Bergholz merged with the Bethlehem and New Scotland Mutual Insurance Company continuing as the succeeding company.
- January 1, 1993 – the Bethlehem and New Scotland was converted to an advance premium cooperative property/casualty insurance company and changed its name to Community Mutual Insurance Company. The management agreement with Capital Mutual was terminated in 1998 and the Community Mutual rented office space in the Town of Schodack, Rensselaer County, New York. In May of 2003 the company purchased its previous office building at 1610 Columbia Turnpike in the Town of Schodack, Rensselaer County, New York.
- 1998 – Community Mutual formed Community Agency, Inc, a wholly owned subsidiary to provide its agency force an outlet for lines of business not written by the parent company.
- December 1, 2013 – Community Mutual entered into an affiliation agreement the Union Mutual of Vermont Companies.
- November 21, 2014 – Community Mutual moved to 433 River Street, Suite 8002, Troy, New York, 12180.
- July 1, 2020 – Community Mutual moved into its current office building at 22 Century Hill Drive, Suite 103, Latham, New York, 12110.